Brackettville is a city in Kinney County, Texas, United States. It is the county seat of Kinney County. Founded in 1852 as “Las Moras” (the name of a nearby spring and the creek it feeds), the town initially was a supply stop on the old San Antonio-El Paso road and a supply depot for the U.S. Army’s Fort Clark (the fort was established the same year). Later the town was named “Brackett” after Oscar B. Brackett, the owner of the first dry goods store in the area. In 1873, when a post office was awarded, “ville” was appended to the name to differentiate it from another town. Brackettville is served by the Brackett Independent School District.